top of page

Self Assessment Deadline Jan 2023

Updated: Sep 12, 2022

September: End of the summer, schools are back, evenings start to draw in, perhaps you’ve

started thinking of the income tax return deadline of 31st Jan?

Some of our clients have already filed their 2021 / 2022 income tax returns but if you haven’t

yet filed yours now is a good time to start collating the information needed.

Here's a quick checklist:


You should have received a P60 from your employer showing the amount of pay you

received and tax deducted during the tax year ending 5th April 2022. If you make student

loan repayments this should also be shown on your P60.

If you’ve left your employment during the tax year you should have received a P45 which will

also show the pay and tax deducted.

P11D, if you received any taxable benefits from your employer such as private medical

insurance or a company car then you should have received a P11D.

Sole Trader

If you are a sole trader you will need to include your accounts for your year ending during the tax year on your self assessment. Don’t forget to adjust your profit for disallowable expenses and any capital allowances that you wish to claim for.

Investments / Shares

For any investments / shares you hold, if you received dividends during the tax year, you’ll

have received a dividend voucher, showing the amount and date that the dividends were


Bank Interest

Your bank should issue you with an interest certificate showing the amount of interest you

received on each account, however you may need to request these.

Capital Gains

If you sold any shares or assets during the tax year, you will need the original cost, how

much it was sold for and any costs associated to calculate the gain.


You will need to include any state pension and private pension you received. Private pension

providers issue a P60 and HMRC normally sends a letter explaining the increase to the state

pension or you could check your bank account for the state pension received between the

6th April 2021 - 5th April 2022.

State Benefits

Some state benefits are taxable and need including on your self assessment such as

Bereavement Allowance, Job Seekers Allowance and Carers Allowance.

Child Benefit

If your earnings are over £50,000 and you are the highest earner v your spouse you will

need to declare any child benefit you received during the year on your tax return.

Property Rental

If you receive income for property rentals or furnished holiday lets you will need to include

the income received and costs incurred such as repairs and maintenance, utilities,


If you rent a room in your property then you will need to include the income received during

the tax year.

Foreign Income

If you are a UK resident and worked abroad during the year or received any foreign income

you will need to include the income received and any foreign tax paid on your UK tax return.

Personal Pension contributions

If you made any personal pension contributions, you may be able to claim tax relief on the

contributions. You will need a copy of your pension statement to include the contributions on your tax return.

Charity Payments

If you made donations to a UK registered charity and claimed gift aid you may be able to

claim relief on your income tax return if you are a higher rate taxpayer.

We hope the above list helps you collate the information you need to complete your tax

return however if you’d prefer to have your tax return completed by a professional

accountant then get in touch with us at:

16 views0 comments


bottom of page